Tuesday, November 3, 2009

By Definition

Is it horrible that I thoroughly enjoy other people's messy homes?  I will never claim to be a good housekeeper.  My house is well lived-in, and always seems messy to me.  There are six of us and three cats, so I will always have laundry to do, dishes to clean, and a floor that has stuff on it, whether it be toys, paper, or who knows what.  Though I do my best to keep on top of things, they still can get away from me every once in awhile (or a little more often, but who's counting). 

The days I make it over to a friend or neighbor's house and see their messes, I can't help but smile when my mess all of a sudden looks minimal.  It is always nice to know that I'm not the worst housekeeper out there.  I suppose if I changed my personal definition of "clean", then I wouldn't mind my mess so much.  Maybe it's that I always have the intention to tackle things, but life happens and cleaning is not really that important in the grand scheme of things.  Now, I'm not saying my house is completely disgusting and should be condemned.  I have a bunch of small children, so I do have some standards.  But I don't vacuum every day, and I don't really care. 

So, I was at a friend's house the other day.  I love her dearly, but she's has a house full of people and four dogs and yet her house was always better kept than mine.  I always felt a bit inadequate when I would get home from her house and look at the tasks still awaiting my attention.  But this time I went over there and it was complete chaos.  I helped her catch up, because it is easier to deal with other peoples mess than it is my own (who knows why).  It was nice to know that perfect really isn't and that me and my mess are perfectly acceptable and the only one who it bothers is me, and occasionally hubby, but he could help if it truly gets on his nerves;o)

No comments: