Monday, October 5, 2009

If You Have Nothing Nice to Say.......

Time and time again it is clear that negativity reinforces the unwanted, whether it be bad people or bad behavior.  Haven't people heard of "you catch more flies with sugar than vinegar"?  It is almost to the point where I believe that people try to be curt, or downright mean.  There need be no provocation for the outlash.  It is a sad state of affairs when you're given the stink-eye for asking for the time.  It takes two seconds to look and tell you, and much longer to yell in passing "time to get a f-ing watch dude".  It would be nicer just to walk past and never look back.  

Anyway, episodes like that have helped to foster a society of people who don't even look at each other in the grocery store.  There used to be a time when everyone you passed smiled and waved "hello", even if you did not know them.  Now, you look at someone and it's the beginning of a confrontation.  Why?  Is a smile so threatening as to warrant an attack?  Is the recession making people more violent?  No, of course not.  I suppose when we are taught to look out for ourselves, there is an unspoken rule that others just don't matter.  it's not something that is outright taught.  However, it seems to be a very sad consequence of how society has "progressed". 

What gets me is the fact that I am still the kind of person to smile at someone who dares to look at me.  I still say "good morning" to strangers and speak to people wherever I go.  No, I'm not one of those annoying people who tell you their life story in an elevator.  But I will smile and nod hello, and if you happen to be wearing killer shoes, I'll tell you how fab they are.  If you happen to have no teeth and smell like a sewer, then I'll just leave it at a nod and a smile and quietly get off on the next floor just to escape the possibility of the stink sticking to me.  Again, I will not be the one to look you in the eye and say, "have some pride and take a f-ing shower dude".  

Sugar over vinegar all the way.

No comments: