Wednesday, April 21, 2010

They Let It Be

Perhaps peer pressure has its place; perhaps not.  In-home make-up consultants can make for an interesting evening.  Pushy friends hijacked me, and I ended up having a pretty good time.  Not that the make-up or the demonstration were anything spectacular, but the people were ridiculous.  There were some teenagers and their Mom,  My friend, who ended  up two hours late, and some of her extended family. 

I swear watching these teenage girls made me glad that I have boys.  They thought they were so cute and funny, but really they were just mean hidden behind a smile.  I felt so bad for their mother.  I am well aware that I have conservative tendencies, but I really don't think there is a place for that kind of disrespect.  They weren't arguing, no one was in a mood.  Yet, these girls picked on their Mom until she excused herself to cry in the bathroom.  No one mentioned it, because they didn't want to further her humiliation.  Finally, I sat next to her and jokingly barbed back at these girls for her.  They laughed, but the oldest was annoyed, which made me feel better.  The Mom was thrilled to have someone on her side and began to give as good as she got. 

When did it become acceptable for kids to be that rude and insolent?  I know that children, especially teens, have a mind of their own and tend to be strong willed.  This woman lives in a home where her husband is king and she is but a servant.  That mentality has leeched into her children.  She has been broken.  For a moment that night, just a glimmer of peace set in, she was happier than I had ever seen her, all because someone thought enough of her to do something.  I think I was more shocked and disappointed at my friend and her family.  This lady has been close to them since they were kids.  Yet, no one said a word.  Everyone ignored it and let it happen.  This is not normal to me.  Though I never mentioned it directly, it was obvious she needed help.  These kids have never been told not to be how they are.  They have learned to treat people, women, this way.  What they don't understand is that they are young women themselves.  Will they expect to be treated that way too?  I guess that whole "do unto others" thing doesn't fly in their family.

This just makes me want to be a better Mother.

No comments: