Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Chicken Run

So, back to my chickens.  My oldest, who tends our flock, is a funny little bug.  He antagonizes the roosters then runs screaming when they defend themselves.  Yesterday, the chickens were running around the yard and he was in the pen gathering eggs and whatnot.  Well, one of the feisty roos kept leaping at him, quite agitated.  My boy was yelping and screaming "hi-ya" like some kind of kung fu master.  He had a garbage can lid as a shield, like some kind of gladiator.  It was so ridiculous that I couldn't stop laughing at him.  That's when I saw them.

Now, let me give you some background.  I don't talk to my neighbors much, don't know who most of them are and I'm not that interested to find out.  We live where people keep their fences closed and can't be bothered.  Works well for the most part.  Anyway, I look up and see this crowd of people.  My neighbors, many of them, from across the street on the other side of the pen were just watching the show. They were standing there all King-of-the-Hill-style with beer in hand.  A line of men watching my boy dodging chickens like it was some kind of training, like in Rocky.

Finally, after feeling so badly, they sent their son (my boy's friend) to see if he needed help.  Of course, he was fine and just being him.  I tend to think that they only sent help because they noticed me watching them, actually I was hysterically laughing at my boy genius, but still.


No comments: