Friday, January 29, 2010

Dump and Run

Apparently I am now being sued.  Can you imagine?  Anyway, I get to go to court and declare how much money I don't have.  Fun.  Then I get to be told that I have to pay x amount of $ plus fees and whatnot.  This is just what I needed.  Lately, it seems that all I get is bad news around every corner. 

At least my bad news didn't leech me devoid of joy on a day when four people that I haven't heard from in more than six months have contacted me.  Did any of them want to see how I was or tell me that they were just thinking about me? No.  They all, every one of them, decided to call upon my shoulder for their woes.  None were willing to lend a shoulder for mine however.  Not that I would have spilled and boo-hooed all of my business to people that couldn't be bothered calling me for years(in one instance).  I'm glad that they called, and I am sorry that it wasn't for any happy news.  It is nice that they feel that in times of trouble I can be counted on.  Unfortunately, I'm going through some stuff right now and I can't afford to have my energy sucked out by these people.  My sometimes friends.

You don't have to talk to someone every day or week or even every month for that matter, to call them a friend.  Friendship isn't in the frequency of contact or in the proximity of the person.  However, when you only call on someone once a year or so, maybe it would be a good idea to do  a little catching up before dumping all your crap on them and hanging up before they get to tell you that they just had a new baby.  Spending hours on the phone without once asking "how have you been" is just selfish.  At least it seems that way to me.  I know that there are times when everyone just needs to get things off their chest, when you need to let things out, but to dump and run is just rude.  If you care enough about a person to need them in some capacity, at least spend five minutes asking a polite question or two.  If you were once close enough that calling them is still an option, then shouldn't you care how they've been anyway.

Maybe I'm just hurt that after so long, this one person really never asked how I was.  She never asked about the kids.  She has no idea that I have a new baby or if anything else major has happened.  Hours and not a single question.  Truly, I am glad that I could be there for her, but I am still in shock.  I figured she was going through stuff and needed me, so that was that.  But not even a quick "how are you doing?", just seems wrong to me.  The others already knew the big stuff and just bulldozed the conversation to purge their guilt, sadness, depression, or stress.  Apparently, my stuff just didn't interest them on this day.  I really should just stop answering the phone.

Okay, I'm done being petty, I think.  I'll get over myself soon enough.  Hubby thinks I should have ended the call with, "by the way I moved and the new baby is fine" and then hung up.  But instead I ended with something a bit more cordial.

Speaking of cordial, if it wasn't still morning, I'd pour myself a drink.  Okay, not really, but some days...

No comments: