Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Is it beginning to feel a lot like Christmas?

Well, we went and got a tree.  The boys ran around like little monkeys and the baby slept the whole time.  Admittedly, I was dreading the experience, which really is not like me.  Once we get there and I am surrounded by pines and take a deep breath, ahhhh it's Christmas.  So, I was enjoying the twinkle in the boys' eyes and decided that I will go ahead and make whatever I can with the boughs we got that night.  I hadn't seen the oldest that excited for awhile.  It's funny, we usually take a very long time to pick a tree.  But this year, the second tree we looked at, we bought.  I would have liked to look for a fatter tree, but as it sits there in the stand, waiting to be adorned, it is settling into a chubby tree after all.  It really is a full, symmetrical lovely tree.  It's as perfect a tree as I've ever had. Plus, it smells like Christmas. 

So, at least I'm trying to get in the spirit of things.  Of course today, when I was all prepared to get the house ready to have Christmas move in, wouldn't you know it, the baby had to feed every time I had a minute to try to move things around and prep the area.  I guess tomorrow will be the day, since today wasn't, and that's is fine with me. 

After everyone went to sleep, I decided to begin sewing the puff quilt that I'm making the baby.  I've had it cut for weeks, I just need a few more backing squares.  Tonight, I decided that if I don't get rolling, the thing will never get made.  I have finished one of the three colors.  They are all sewn and waiting to be stuffed.  I went to start on the next color, but the tension was all off and I wasn't in the mood.  I have a feeling that despite my best math, this quilt is going to be bigger than I expected.  At least he can grow into it.  I'll probably use it more as a play mat than an actual blanket.  I picked the fabric with my 4 year old.  It is in hues of green and yellow with red and orange accents.  One fabric is animals, one is dinosaurs and two are mottled in green and yellow.  It sounds horrible, but it is very cute.  Perhaps I'll post a picture when it is finished.  It all depends on how it turns out, haha.  I think that he wants a blanket for himself, but I bought the last of the dinosaur fabric and they haven't had any in since.  Who knows, maybe I'll make him a big one for his birthday.  Thank goodness it isn't until September. 

Now, I'm here again in the middle of the night, too tired to work and too wired to sleep.  This is the limbo in which I seem to exist most often.  This is when I think of all that needs to be done and wonder why I haven't had a stress induced heart attack years ago.  I was just informed that the boys want to make their own cookies for Santa.  It sounds innocent enough.  But I know, all too well, that the 4 year old and the 5 year old don't always play nice.  I can just envision multicolor royal icing everywhere and crumbled cookies strewn about.  Okay, they aren't really that bad, but they sure can zap my patience in a blink and I sure can suck the joy out things when that happens.  Maybe we'll make easy cookies this weekend and see how it goes, kind of like a test drive.  Usually, I assign each child a different job in the processes, but we will see how it goes with them actually trying to work together.  I feel many little speeches coming on. 

Anyway, I've seen enough Christmas movies in the past two days to make me not ever turn on the TV until after New Year's.